Please take a moment to read through some of our most commonly asked questions!
How do I book my date? Do you require a deposit?
Once a date has been confirmed you will be emailed the link to fill our your info form and session contract. Your session is not considered booked until your contract has been signed and session fee paid. The session fee is due in full at the time of booking and is non-refundable. It is the responsibility of the booking party (the person paying and signing the contract) to inform all session participants of our policies and pricing.
Can we just do a Mini Sessions?
Due to high demand during the summer season, we do not offer stand-alone mini sessions. Minis are designed to accommodate multiple sessions on the same date/location, and are scheduled back-to-back. For this reason we only offer minis in the late fall at a pre-determined location.
What is your style?
My portraiture is a mix of traditional style with candid moments. The first half of each session is generally the posed family shots, while the second half is usually fun/candid/relaxed down by the water. I like to let the kids have fun and get a little wet!
How long will it take to see our photos?
You will be emailed the link and password to view your portraits within 2-3 weeks of your session. Your gallery will remain online for 2 weeks for ordering. You may place as many orders as you’d like within that time-frame, and all images must be downloaded within that time-frame.
Can our images stay online longer?
- Galleries are active for 2 weeks from the date they go online. They may be extended or reposted at a rate of $10/day.
Where will we take our photos?
- Beach sessions take place at Coquina Beach in South Nags Head. The gorgeous scenery and secluded beach is how we capture those stunning dune photos primarily seen throughout our website. We do continue to service Hatteras Island, although travel fees apply. Starting with the 2020 season, we no longer offer sessions in the Northern Beaches (Duck/Corolla) but are happy to refer photographers who will.
What type of gear do you use?
- I use a full line of professional Canon bodies and lenses. I always carry backup and maintain business and liability insurance.
What is the weather is bad?
I watch the weather closely, as it can be fickle here. Most commonly we deal with wind, followed by rain. In the event of strong wind, usually a change in location (typically sound side) can solve the problem. If it rains, we will happily reschedule you for another date if available. If no date is available, a refund will be issued. Generally we can easily work around weather by moving the time of our session around. Keep in mind your session date is not the best day to make dinner reservations or anything else that requires a certain start time.
What if I can’t make my session?
- It’s very important to try to make your session, but we do understand that sometimes things come up. If you can’t make your session we will be happy to reschedule your shoot one time with at least 24 hours notice at no additional fee, based on availability. Please remember, one your date is booked, other clients are turned away for that date and time. Canceling last minute prevents us from re-booking that date. There are no refunds or reschedules or no-shows.
I don’t want beach photos, are other places available?
- Yes! We have several options for non-beach locations available. Just make sure you mention that when booking your session and we can help you come up with an alternative location. You are responsible for any fees associated with the location you choose (admission to botanical gardens, photo permits, parking, etc).
What should we wear?
- The million dollar question! First and foremost, be comfortable!
- For Beach Photos I suggest keeping it light. You don’t have to keep it “stuffy” or traditional – mix it up a bit! If you want to incorporate some color, keep it simple, staying away from too many bold patterns. Your clothing shouldn’t take away from the photos. Definitely avoid black! It’s best to choose a color palette and find clothing that compliments each other without being overly busy or contrasting.
- For Non-Beach Photos feel free to get funky! Bright colors are great, as well as sticking to a similar color pallet for everyone.
- Regardless of location, I suggest avoiding anything with large logos or writing on the front. Also keep in mind that everyone will be sitting and/or kneeling at some point, typically in the sand, so clothing should be comfortable and I would avoid wearing anything you wouldn’t want to get sand or water on.